Job Opportunity: Reading Revolutionary
If you love reading, know that non-curricula books can change lives, and are an activist at heart, you might be the right person to join our reading revolution team. Uwezo (education research) reports point to a crises in childhood literacy. Despite years of schooling, too many of our children cannot read and write. This literacy crisis must be urgently addressed.
Storymoja is a growing publishing company and player in addressing childhood literacy. Our programmes focus on book/content development, reading promotion and creating access to books. We are looking for a full time, self-driven literacy activist with experience coordinating events and getting work done. The role is dynamic and requires ability to work in a high paced environment with constant changes, challenges, excitement and travel.
- You should be a university graduate with high communication and social media skills
- You should have a positive, proactive, can-do spirit
- Experience coordinating teams and projects is essential
- Experience working with schools or the general education sector is an advantage
- You may be required to work in Kitui, Siaya or Nairobi over the next 8 months so it’s an advantage if you live in one of these counties.
Overall Purpose of the Position
Lead on-the-ground project implementation of a literacy campaign, track progress, liaise with all county stakeholders and lead in county event coordination.
- Cascade implementation plans/activities to the team
- HR development of your ground team – training, team meetings and supervision
- Organise meetings, training and other events in the county
- Manages project systems, reporting and M&E to ensure they follow laid down procedures
- Mobilise schools and other institutions to ensure that they participate in Storymoja reading promotions /drives.
- Promote and sell our books at events and other promotions
- Work closely with the RR Coordinator to capture information about current, past and future audiences in order to deepen and widen the network of audiences.
- Custody and safekeeping of all resources assigned to your team.
- For advocacy purposes, engage and liaise with county officials and various industry stakeholders
- Keep abreast of developments in the greater reading and publishing sector, locally and internationally and champion reading.
Interested in joining our team of reading revolutionaries? Send your CV with a cover letter that convinces us that you are the one we need to get Kenyans reading. Send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org